This lesson explores the different types of geothermal energy systems. Students learn the difference between high and low temperature geothermal resources and where they are located worldwide. The lesson details the different types of energy systems within the three main categories of geothermal: high temperature, low temperature, and Enhanced (Engineered) Geothermal Systems. Students can gain a deeper understanding of how geography and geology greatly influence the placement of geothermal systems and learn about careers in geothermal through profiles of various individuals working in this energy field.
- Compare and contrast the three main types of geothermal systems: high temperature, low temperature, and Enhanced (Engineered) Geothermal Systems
- Discuss how geology and geography influence the configuration of a system
- Define hydrothermal and binary systems
- Explain some of the applications for geothermal heat pumps
- Summarize different career opportunities in geothermal energy